A long list of used to

Monday, March 9, 2009

I used to write poetry. Lots and lots of it.

And not just teenage angst lines (although there was plenty of that). I wrote about my mother, my children, growing up, and trees. I wrote a lot about trees.

I haven't written any poetry for quite a long time.

It's not like I don't try. I have a notebook in my purse that I keep for when inspiration stops by...or waves from across the road. But it just doesn't come to me like it used to.

I sometimes feel that "used to" were the saddest words.

I used to dance ballet.

I used to spend time in the darkroom with my old film SLR.

I used to paint oils.

I used to want to be a marine biologist.

And I've been worried that poetry is being added to my list of "used to."

But maybe it isn't as sad as I think it is. Maybe writing, no matter what it is, even this blog, is enough. Maybe I don't need the poetry anymore.

But occasionally, I still hear it.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Begin reading poetry again. Check out several poets and keep the books lying around. It will inspire you again.

Bonnie said...

What you wrote is a poem. Your photography, your blog, the way you see the world is art itself. Beautiful angel, you are the poem and everything you see, everything you touch is made magical shining through the medium of YOU.