Letter to Our President

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Today we witnessed the 44th president sworn in. President Barack Obama.

Regardless of how you voted, regardless of your personal political views, this is an historic moment. The first black president of the United States of America.

The inaugural speech was wonderful. There were moments I felt tears well up in my life.

Some of my favorite parts

"It is time to pick ourselves up, to dust ourselves off, and start rebuilding America."

"[The leaders of countries] will be remembered, not by what they destroy, but with what they build."

I have some things I would like to say to our new president...

Dear President Obama,

Congratulations on becoming president today. I know that this is a important moment, not just for you and your family, and not just for black Americans, but for all Americans.

I have listened to many of speeches that you have given over your road to the presidency. I want you to know that your words have given me reason to hope. For the first time in a long time, I feel reasons to be hopeful for the future.

I have two young children, and I worry about their future everyday. I think about how I will provide from them, next month and next year. I think about providing them opportunities. I wonder how to make sure they are safe, go to good school, have college accessible to them. Every parent hopes that things will be better for their children than they were for them. For the first time, I feel that this may be true.

I have watched friends and family lose homes and lose jobs. I have watched loved ones stress about medical bills and decide between essential bills and medication. I have watched schools, hospitals, and government fail people I know and love time after time. I have prayed for change. You have promised change.

Thank you for the hope.

1 comments:

ithappenedinthekitchen said...

That is a great expression. Coming from a new doctor, I can appriciate it even more. I have heard so many negative things from my friends lately, I can relate to your feelings much better. I too am hopeful. I actually watched the inaguration yesterday because I am n the hospital with my baby. He's sick with Pneumonia from RSV. Anyway, great speech. It did help me remove my fear about the future for a while :)